There is no other way to say it, I am really very annoyed today. My facebook even says "supremely annoyed."
In my continuing effort to be extremely vague for fear of stalkers, I will say that I do this volunteer thing at church. There is a small handful of others who do this same volunteer thing and we all must find back-ups when we have a conflict with the schedule.
I agreed to switch times so that I am volunteering at church tonight and "Mr. Bean" is volunteering tomorrow night. Mr. Bean just called from Michigan today, saying that he and his family are on vacation with the parish priest. If I don't cover both tonight and tomorrow night, he will be forced to make his family, his friends and even the parish priest leave their vacation early. Can we all say CATHOLIC GUILT? Come on, like I don't already get enough of that in my life?
(Side note: Growing up, our parish priest rented a big beach house on the Jersey shore, and every summer he would take several families from our parish along for a week or so. These are some of my favorite childhood memories! So the priest-vacation issue is really not strange for me to hear).
It's just that it's AP's last official weekend before work craziness sets in until the month of January. And since I'm volunteering tonight, I planned for tomorrow night to be a nice family dinnertime, without rushing to eat before AJ gets tired or hungry or cranky. (Volunteering goes from about 4:45p to 6:45p, exactly the time we like to use to liesurely prepare and eat a nice meal). So now I have two weekend evenings where I'm doing a nice, good, holy, important volunteering thing at church, but leaving my husband to baby-sit and my child to snack endlessly for a few hours.
I haven't returned Mr. Bean's call, because it's pretty obvious that I'm screwed and really can't say no. Because I know I should be embracing the opportunity to serve, but really...I just want to spend time with my family.
--------
Misc.: In regards to Steve's comments on the vaccine post - I am doing a little more research on his questions about the MMR/autism link and I will post here when I am finished.
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Being only from a Catholic grade school experience, but having a motherly guilt, I'm learning that sometimes you gotta say NO. We are going to disappoint people in life, no matter how hard we try. God is not going to be mad at you for saying no. I think instead God would rather you spend time with your family.
Tell me more about your Morgan Freeman religion, and are you accepting new members?
I agree with Lori, God is going to like that you want to spend time as a family and will recognize that you kept your commitment and service obligation. So what's with Mr. Bean? He had to have known he was going on vacation when he said he would cover for you, and then to lay on a guilt trip the day before on a phone message? I would definitely NOT feel guilty about that and he should feel ashamed. I grew up in a catholic home and this Mr. Bean does not have the subtle touch with guilt like a catholic mom.
My Morgan Freeman religion status is quite simple: So I was watching Evan Almighty, and I was thinking to myself that if I had a god, I think I would like one who is as warm and funny as he was. One who dances and sings, laughs, and smiles so beautifully that you just can't help but want to be in his presence. No judgement, just happiness. And typing about that type of presence makes my heart hurt.
Anyway... :)
Post a Comment