I am really not a nature-oriented person. I guess there are some aspects of nature I enjoy; we love to take family walks outside and feed the birds in the bird-feeder and enjoy a cool summer breeze through the open windows. But I was so terrified at Girl Scout camp that my mom had to go along the following year. I have zero interest in camping out. I much prefer an urban hike through Manhatten than a trek through a deserted wooded area. And I do not touch any bugs - heaven forbid I garden without gloves.
That being said, I have really taken a lot away from my playgroup friendships. These people, many of whom are experienced with and interested in nature, have influenced me a great deal. I have joined a community supported agriculture (CSA) program so my dollars are going to a local farmer instead of mass producers in California. I got some great reusable bags from Trader Joe's and now my husband complains that we don't have enough plastic bags around the house. And I know my daughter has a greater appreciation of nature from her experiences in playgroup than she'd have from just hanging out with me.
But I think the thing I've most appreciated was the information that was disseminated about organic lawn care. At first I was a little offended, almost. It's certainly hard to hear someone say that the way you care for your yard makes you irresponsible and uninformed. APY and I work hard to maintain our lawn and our yard. In our neighborhood we are some of the few people who do our own landscaping and mowing (for real...) and we take great pride in what we have accomplished. We have struggled with things like thatch and weeds (especially since we border empty lots and cornfields) but the time, energy and money we have put into our lawn is worth it to us. Our child has a beautiful soft green carpet to run and play on - it looks good and feels so nice too. I know that not everyone is concerned with the look and quality of a lawn, but it's something that is important to us.
However, I was concerned about the fertilizer that was being sprayed on our lawn. I wouldn't let AJ out in the yard for a week after it was applied, and it really stole some great summer days from us. So when playgroup friends started to talk about organic lawn care, I listened. It is only slightly more expensive than a traditional fertilizer plan. I really like the owner of the company we use; he knows what he is talking about and he always calls personally to answer any questions we have. And so far we are thrilled with the results. Our lawn is lush and thicker than it used to be. It definitely took a longer time to green up than other lawns, but what does that matter? The best part was watching Audrey play in the yard and the garden on the most recent day of application. What peace of mind to know she is not being exposed to those chemicals.
I don't blame myself for using fertilizer...organic lawn care in general is just not promoted very well. Perhaps it is not as easy or as profitable for companies to provide. But I think if more people were aware of these services and of the dangers of chemical lawn care, the industry could grow. There is no way to eliminate our exposure to chemicals and toxins - they are in everything: our food, our water, our air. But any steps we can take to reduce exposure are positive ones. If anyone locally wants info about who we use let me know and I would be happy to share.
~
Monday, May 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
nice! You have to pass along which service you use...we really need one as you well know! I don't blame anyone for not using organic when the traditional Chem lawns tell you they're perfectly safe-we can't research everything. But, I'm glad that word is getting out there, esp for our kids. And that people like you will give it a try :)
See ya! anne
I'd love a recomendation! I keep putting off researching a local one, but I need to 'get er done!'
I love mowing the lawn and doing my own landscaping :) It's very satisfying.
Post a Comment